1. Dan's Hamburgers: a classic greasy, add jalapenos, cheese, bacon, and two patties along with some great fries and a real milkshake kind of place. Dans' laid back atmosphere and 50's style decor guarantees a jolly time.
2. Fran's Hamburgers: a classic greasy, add jalapenos, cheese, bacon, and two patties... Dan and Fran decided to part ways, but their burgers are exactly the same.
3. Casino el Camino: On the East end of Dirty Sixth there is a skinny little bar (yes, they have alcohol and burgers), you probably never noticed. They have legendary burgers that devour a late night craving. They offer several burger choices that will take you from from mild to wild.
4. Hilbert's Burgers: a great classic burger joint, in Austin since 1973. They moved from one of their best location on Lamar a few years back, but they still have several convenient locations around Austin.
5. Dirty Martin's: I had the pleasure of living directly across Nueces from Dirty Martins during my time on the UT campus. Awesome burgers (they have no problem adding a fried egg), great service, beer, shakes, UT games, and an array of fried vegetables to go alongside your burger. What else is there?
6. Player's: An Austin classic that was almost lost a few years back, but new construction was blocked, and future generations of Austinites will still be able to enjoy beer, burgers, and pool at Player's.
7. Sandy's: Walk up service on Barton Springs Road has made Sandy's part of the scenery in Austin. On a hot summer day, their frozen custard, sundays, and shakes will take a few degrees off. If you brought your appetite, a classic burger and fries, or a hot dog will hit the spot.
8. Hut's: A great downtown location, and a long list of specialty burgers have made Hut's an Austin legend. Definitely worth experiencing.
9. Burger TEX: Definitely not the best in town, but they have been in Austin for a while, and during my day's on campus, I frequented the location on Guadalupe which is owned by a Korean family, and offers a very unique Bulgogi style burger.
10. Hyde Park Grill: While probably not known for their burgers, Hyde Park Grill makes a great one, and also has a full menu of delicious non-burger entrees if some of the people you are eating with don't want burgers.